Mastopexy or breast lift
The sagging of the breast, also called breast ptosis, may be related to pregnancy, weight loss or natural aging. Mastopexy or breast lift may then be necessary to regain a harmonious shape.
Breast lifting surgery consists of lifting the breast by tightening the skin. It’s a skin clamp. Depending on the anatomy, the relaxation of the chest and the patient’s wishes, the surgeon may also propose the insertion of breast implants or lipofilling to restore contour. Depending on these criteria, the number of incisions and therefore scars will be different. This important aspect is always brought up with the surgeon during consultations. UrgoTouch ® laser scar treatment can be performed in the operating room to give you every chance of having a better scar.
Learn more about the operation
- Performed under general anesthesia by a plastic surgeon
- Lasts between 2 to 4 hours
- The surgical procedure:
- Incision and detachment of the skin
- Raising the areola and nipple
- Removal of excess skin and lift the mammary gland by pulling healthy skin
- Add a breast prosthesis if necessary
- UrgoTouch ® laser treatment possible after suturing
- 1 to 2 days of hospitalization
In case of moderate sagging of the chest, there are 2 scars:
- Always a periareolar scar around the areola (a circle)
- Vertical scar between the bottom of the areola and the under mammary fold
In case of significant sagging, there is a third scar :
- horizontal scar, under the breast furrow
Note: no additional scar when inserting a breast prosthesis, it will be accommodated by an incision already made !
The choice of the type of operation will of course take into account the scar but also the harmony of the silhouette and the shape of the breast. It is sometimes preferable to have a nice curve and an additional discreet scar than to have fewer scars but a less pretty curve.
- Rest for about 2 weeks is recommended
- A wound dressing is placed for 4 weeks after the operation in addition to the bra support
- Sports is not recommended within 2 months of the intervention
- Your surgeon will monitor the results of the operation and the progress of the healing process (duration to be defined with your surgeon)
- Final result between 3 and 6 months after post-operative edema has subsided
- The result of the scar is definitive between 18 and 24 months
For any information about the operation
Speak directly with your surgeon.
He/She will be able to answer your questions and reassure you.